The data is in the strata
1) Measure the true strike of the strata (θstrike)
2) Measure the true dip of the strata (δ)
3) Measure the azimuth of the road (θroad)
4) Calculate the angle (β) between the road and the strike of the strata as β = | θroad - θstrike |
5) Calculate the apparent dip (α) of the strata along the road as α = arctan [sin(β) ⋅ tan(δ)]
6) Measure the apparent thickness (t) of the covered interval along the road using a Jacob staff set to the apparent dip of the strata along the road (α)
7) Calculate the true thickness (T) of the covered interval as T = t ⋅ [cos(δ) / cos(α)]
Comments or questions? Please contact Steven Holland at email@example.com
All original material Copyright 2008. No part of this site may be reproduced without written permission.
The content and opinions expressed on this web page do not necessarily reflect the views of
nor are they endorsed by the University of Georgia or the University System of Georgia.